Essex Condos on Lake Merritt
Preparing For Emergencies
The Essex Emergency Preparedness Committee is following the recommendations by Oakland Fire Department’s CORE Program (Communities of Oakland Respond to Emergencies). The program’s underlying premise is that a major disaster will overwhelm first responders and leave many citizens on their own for at least 7 to 10 days after an emergency. CORE teaches self-reliance skills and helps neighborhoods establish response teams to assist the neighborhood until professional emergency personnel arrive. CORE training develops CORE Groups throughout Oakland who are organized, empowered and involved in the health, safety and well-being of their neighborhood.
The Essex Emergency Preparedness Committee has done the following:
- Had supplies purchased for basic first aid, items needed for coordinating the coordinators for condo floors, walkie-talkies, and AED’s (Automated External Defibrillators). These supplies are stored in a storage area and in a utility control room near the building entrance..
- Arranged for CORE, CPR and AED usage training for residents.
- Planning for basic first aid training for residents.
- Supported annual fire drills.
- Developing a communications policy to coordinate the Committee efforts in an emergency.
- Organized contacts for each group of 3 floors of the Essex Condo complex.
- Promoted Get-To-Know-Your-Neighbor events.
The Essex Emergency Preparedness Committee members are the following
- Sam Burd (Chairman)
- Nancy Forbord
- Sarah van Roo
- Brent Noorda
- Brian lee
- Allegra Kim
- Ed Kako
- Eduardo Arenas